Saturday, June 2, 2007

Aria

Nolie was right. Daddy died today after she told him goodbye and left the room. I think he didn't want her to see him go. It happened very quickly after she left the hospital to go to the hotel to take a shower.

I noticed that his breathing was much less labored than it had been for the last two days, so I went over and held his hand. Eventually the breathing stopped. I contemplated calling the nurse, but instead, just waited until she came in with the next dose of Methadone. When she arrived I mentioned that he didn't seem to be moving much air, so she went to get her stethoscope. After listening with her stethoscope, she said she was going to get the Doctor because she couldn't hear anything. Okay, I've seen enough ER episodes to know what that means. Dr. Reddy made it official at about 1:04 p.m. CDT. I called Nolie and she came back right away.

Nolie pointed out that he held on long enough to get his June paycheck, and then she realized that June 2, 1958 was the day Jerry saw her going into the Administration Building on the UT Austin Campus to pay the Bursar for her classes. Nolie and Jerry had dated in the past, but hadn't seen each other for four years. Jerry waited outside for her and called her name when she came back out. Nolie recognized him immediately because Jerry always wore prescription sunglasses, and they've been together ever since. I choose to believe that he remembered today was the day, because it just makes a better story.

I will post more information here regarding services, etc. as it becomes available.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I think I speak for everyone when I say we love you and please let us know what we can do to help. You're in our thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Brian and Nolie,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. This is always so hard. I'm so sorry.

Unknown said...

As you both know, you are like family to me and have been since you came into my life in 1984...while I wish I was there with you right now instead of across the country, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I love you both dearly.

Anonymous said...

Dear Brian and Nolie,
I am so sorry about Jerry.Please take care of yourselves and remember that Jerry felt your love and devotion every day you were with him. You are both great people.
Love,
Robin