Friday, June 1, 2007

You Don't Have To Speak English To Teach Math

It is 8:05 p.m. and the night nurse just came in to introduce himself. His name is Jian, pronounced "Jan" and reminds me of a TA I had in college for Business Math. Her name was "Jane." I never got to know "Jane" very well, as I'm about to explain.

On the first day of this class, the TA introduced herself to the class and wrote her name on the chalk board. We still had chalk boards when I was in college. The name that "Jane" wrote on the board was her actual name; the one her parents gave her when she was born, in China. It began with an X and was about 29 characters long. "Jane" was difficult at best to understand, and math has never really been something that comes easily for me, but I was determined to understand, as she explained, how she got "Jane" from "X????????????????????????????." For the next several minutes, "Jane" took various letters from her X word and eventually came up with the word "Xihn." She then said, "see, Jane." I immediately picked up my book bag and went directly to West Hall to stand in the add/drop line. We had to stand in line to drop a class when I was in college.

Jerry likes to hang his left hand off the edge of the bed lately. It makes it swell, so we keep moving it back to the bed on top of a pillow, but when I tried to do that again just a few minutes ago, his face grimaced with obvious pain, so I think I'll just let the arm dangle if that's how he wants it.

Nolie is staying at the hospital tonight, but I'm not sure I'm up for a night with Jian. I definitely know that I'm not up for a night with Jian and Nolie. I think I'll hang out here for another round of vital signs, and if nothing changes, go back to the hotel.

No comments: